Beginning Again: Life After The Divorce
Life after the divorce can be truly overwhelming. Overwhelming emotions—grief, regret, anger, and loss—can plague your thoughts day and night. It will seem like you’re beginning your life all over again. Which is actually the case. Changing your old ways is not easy.
Fortunately, these days, websites offer advice and support for those going through this devastating life-change.
Here are some tips from many sources:
- Forgive yourself and love yourself, so that you can work through the pain. It won’t happen overnight, so be patient. Take one day at a time. Set a goal each week. Consciously deal with the anger and the resentment. Bitterness is unhealthy and toxic to your body, mind and those near you.
- Get support—from a group, counselor, or website. Many websites offer one-on-one chats. The articles can be very helpful. By finding that others have gone through the same ordeal, it can be comforting to know you’re not alone. Investing in a counselor is the best way to spend your money, if you have it. Consider it an investment in yourself, your mental health, and your future.
- Try to stay positive. Be aware of triggers that bring on anger, sadness and depression. Music that used to be your spouse’s favorites can be one. People you both used to know, as well. Safeguard your psyche.
- Work on your own personal growth. Keep a journal of your feelings, putting them on paper and relieving your soul of them. Make new friends, join new groups, take a class or go back to college. Take your vitamins and get plenty of sunshine and rest. Spend more time with those who love you and accept you. Especially your children who will need you more, as you well will need them and their joyousness.
Divorce is a tragedy and considered one of the most stressful life events. But you can come out more self-aware as you heal. Beginning again after the death of a marriage takes courage to summon the power to change. It will also require time, so be prepared for the ups and downs.
Written by: Ruby Moseley, Rust Built, Marketing Services
Latest posts by Rachel Frawley (see all)
- February 2024 – What’s Happening - January 24, 2024
- January 2024 – What’s Happening - December 23, 2023
- Do I Need a Family Lawyer? Here are 30 Reasons Why You Should Hire One. - March 1, 2022