Helpful Books About Divorce For You and Your Children
It’s not easy to explain all the aspects and emotions of divorce to your children. Sometimes reading them a book can help them understand and work through what they are feeling. www.parents.com published a top 10 list of helpful books about divorce that we thought you might find helpful.
10 Helpful Books About Divorce
- Dinosaurs Divorce: By Laurene Krasny Brown and Marc Brown
Dinosaur characters introduce aspects of divorce, such as its causes and effects, living with a single parent, and spending holidays in two separate households.
- I Don’t Want to Talk About It: By Jeanie Franz Ransom
A young girl deals with the new, difficult, and conflicting emotions that arise when her parent’s divorce.
- It’s Not Your Fault, Koko Bear: By Vicki Lansky
A preschool-age bear talks about the pain of divorce; advice for divorcing parents is included at the bottom of each page.
- Mama and Daddy Bear’s Divorce: By Cornelia Maude Spelman
This simple story, told from the perspective of Dinah — the youngest in the Bear family — captures very young children’s perceptions of divorce, along with their questions, emotions, and fears.
- My Parents Are Divorced, Too: A Book for Kids by Kids: By Melanie, Annie, and Steven Ford
As told to Jan Blackstone-Ford Aimed at the preteen set, this book offers a kid-to-kid, heart-to-heart look at the realities of divorce.
- Dear Mom and Dad: What Kids of Divorce Really Want to Say to Their Parents: By Gillian Rothchild
A practical, concise guide that helps children and their parents get on with their lives — happily.
- Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way: By M. Gary Neuman
The exercises in this book help kids open up and deal with their feelings through drawings, games, poetry, role playing, and other activities.
- Mom’s House, Dad’s House: By Isolina Ricci, PhD
This groundbreaking classic (now revised and updated) explores the legal, emotional, and practical realities of creating two happy and stable homes for kids.
- Vicki Lansky’s Divorce Book for Parents: By Vicki Lansky
Offers advice on just about every aspect of divorce, from telling the kids to working out custody arrangements.
- What to Tell the Kids About Your Divorce: By Darlene Weyburne
A family therapist tells divorcing parents how to break the news to their children and reassure them that the split is not their fault.
Latest posts by Rachel Frawley (see all)
- February 2024 – What’s Happening - January 24, 2024
- January 2024 – What’s Happening - December 23, 2023
- Do I Need a Family Lawyer? Here are 30 Reasons Why You Should Hire One. - March 1, 2022