Guidelines for a Healthy Relationship
If you’re ready to end your relationship, there are some things to consider to be sure you are making the right decision. Obviously, if you are not living your best life with your partner, you know something is wrong.
Examine the following statements, as they are guidelines for a healthy relationship and see if your relationship meets these criteria.
1. You feel safe and comfortable expressing your feelings and needs, without fear of being reprimanded or belittled.
2. You support each other’s goals, encouraging in a non-competitive, accepting way.
3. Decisions are made together, with respect given to each other’s opinions. No one person is superior to the other and there is a balance between giving and receiving.
4. Conflicts are mutually resolved. There is willingness to compromise so that no one person is left feeling wrong or devalued.
5. You share common interests and ideals, but are able to pursue outside interests, including friends, hobbies, schooling, etc. There is a balance of closeness and separateness, yet when you are together, you are able to play and have fun.
6. You maintain your autonomy, so that if you are left alone, you are able to function, taking care of all your responsibilities and commitments easily.
These may seem impossible to fulfill, but they really aren’t that difficult. After all, they are basically the inalienable rights we all deserve. Everyone needs to feel respected and valued for who they are, without compromise. Flexibility, compromise, understanding and respect are all components of a good romance and both of you need to adjust to meet the important needs of the other, so that resentment and frustration do not become the foundation of your relationship. Just remember that whatever you want in a relationship, your partner probably wants it too. If you are not experiencing that, you are right to be moving on.
Written By: Amy Sherman, Baby Boomers’ Network
About the Author:
Amy Sherman is an author, Relationship/Dating Coach and Therapist and is the founder of the Baby Boomers’ Network. Become part of the network by signing up for 7 “Recipes” for Success You Can Use Right Now. Go to http://www.yourbabyboomersnetwork.com for more information.